The first Porsche in the world, known as the “Egger-Lohner electric vehicle, C.2 Phaeton model” or P1 for short, made its debut on the streets of Vienna on June 26, 1898. This historic vehicle, designed and built by Ferdinand Porsche himself, had been stored in a shed in Austria since 1902.
The P1 was powered by over 1,000 pounds of battery, bringing the total weight of the vehicle to nearly 3,000 pounds. It could reach speeds of up to 22 miles per hour and had a range of up to 50 miles.
In 2014, the P1 was discovered in a shed in Austria in a remarkably good state. Although the batteries, seats, and some bodywork were missing, the motor was still functional. The steering wheel, dashboard, and wheels, all beautifully crafted, had survived the test of time.
The P1 is now exhibited at the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart, Germany. To give visitors a sense of the original seating, blue translucent plastic has been inserted, although the bright color may not accurately represent the original look.